- fine grater
- cheesecloth or thick paper towel or juicer
- cooking thermometer (optional)
- 3 cups (710 mL) 3.25% homo milk
- 4 tbsp (60 mL) fresh ginger juice
- 4 tbsp (60 mL) sugar
- Wash fresh ginger and using a spoon, peel most of the skin off the ginger.
- Grate ginger with a fine grater. Then using a cheesecloth or thick paper towel, wrap around the grated ginger and squeeze out the juice into a bowl. Or if you have a juicer, no need to grate; juice the whole ginger.
- Pour 1 tbsp of ginger juice into a each of the 4 bowls
- Heat milk and sugar on low heat and use a thermometer if you have one.
- Once the temperature heats to 158°F (70°C), take it off the heat. If it’s higher, take off heat and allow it cool for a few minutes until it’s 158°F (70°C).
- Swirl the ginger juice quickly (basically mix it) and then pour milk quickly into the serving bowls.
- Cover and set aside for 5 minutes or chill it in the refrigerator. This can be served hot or cold.