This fettucine recipe is a crowd pleaser that can be cooked in advance. What could be easier than that?
Photo from the 2014 Milk Calendar-March, Dairy Farmers of Canada
- Large skillet
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cups
- Large pot
- Cutting board
- Chopping knife
- Cheese grater
- Stirring spoon
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) butter, divided
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 12 oz/375 g), cut into thin strips
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) dried Italian seasoning
- 10 oz (300g) fettucine pasta
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 to 5 small mushrooms, diced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 2 cups (500 mL) milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) 10% half-and-half cream
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded Canadian mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) grated Canadian parmesan cheese
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sour cream
You can cook it up an hour or two early, keeping it warm in the crockpot, and add the sour cream and tomato when it's time to serve.
- In a large skillet, melt 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the butter over medium-high heat; sauté chicken, garlic and italian seasoning for about 8 min or until chicken is browned and no longer pink inside. Transfer to a bowl; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook pasta for about 10 min or until al dente, or according to package directions.
- Return skillet to medium-high heat; add butter. Sauté onions and mushrooms over medium-high heat, for about 5 min or until onions are translucent.
- Sprinkle with flour; stir in pepper and salt and cook, stirring, for 2 min.
- Gradually stir in milk and cream; cook, stirring, for about 5 min or until creamy, smooth and thickened.
- Remove from heat; stir in mozzarella and parmesan cheeses.
- Drain pasta and return to pot. Pour in sauce, reserved chicken, tomatoes and sour cream and toss to coat.
Leave a Comment
Comments are moderated and may not appear immediately