Kale's sturdy leaves contrast beautifully with creamy avocado, and the sweetness of the orange balances the tang of the feta cheese.
Dairy Farmers of Canada
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Cutting board and knife
- Medium bowl
- Serving bowl
- Salad servers
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) plain Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tsp (10 mL) liquid honey
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) snipped chives (optional)
- 1 small bunch of kale
- 1 seedless orange
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) almonds, coarsly chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) crumbled feta cheese
- 1 ripe but firm avocado, peeled and cut into cubes
- In a medium bowl, whisk milk with yogurt, mustard, lemon juice, honey, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Stir in chives, if using.
- Trim kale by cutting out and discarding tough ribs of leaves. Stack leaves, then slice crosswise into strips about 1 1/4 inch (3 cm) wide, for about 10 cups (2.5 L).
- Place kale in serving bowl. Add orange segments, almonds and feta. Gently toss.
- Drizzle with about 1 cup (250 mL) dressing.
- Gently toss in avocado.
- Refrigerate remaining dressing up to 2 days.
Cooking tip: For even more flavour, toast almonds for a couple of minutes in a skillet over medium heat until fragrant.