Surprise the family with yummy tacos all rolled into a delicious casserole with this Milk Calendar recipe
© 2015 Milk Calendar - January 2015
- Measuring cups & measuring spoons
- Large skillet
- Oven-safe casserole dish approx. 8 inch x 8 inch (2 Litre capacity)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 1 lb (450 g) ground chicken
- ½ small onion, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, finely diced
- 1-2 Tbsp (15-30 mL) chili powder
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dried oregano
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- 19-oz (540 mL) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen corn
- ½ cup (125 mL) salsa
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (500 mL) grated Canadian Cheddar, divided
- 1 cup (250 mL) tortilla chips, barely crushed
- Optional additions: Salsa, sour cream, guacamole
Surprise the family with yummy tacos all rolled into a delicious casserole.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat; cook chicken with onion, red pepper, chili powder to taste, oregano and salt, using a fork to break up meat, for about 5 min or until chicken is cooked through. Stir in beans, corn and salsa. Whisk milk with flour. Gradually stir milk mixture into chicken mixture. Bring to a boil, then stir frequently for 2 min.
- Remove from heat; stir in 1 cup (250 mL) of the cheese. Transfer into an 8-inch (2 L) square dish.
- Sprinkle chicken with tortilla chips then remaining cheese. Bake for 10 min or just until cheese is melted. Let stand for 5 min before serving. Scoop out into bowls. Serve with additional salsa, sour cream and guacamole.
Variation: If you like spicy food, stir in or serve with hot pepper sauce.