No need to feel guilty with this fresh fruit and reduced sugar summer desert!
- Small Bowl
- Measuring Cups
- Large Bowl
- Baking Dish
- Large Spoon
- FRUIT FILLING:
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cornstarch
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cinnamon
- 4 cups (1 L) quartered strawberries
- 2 cups (500 mL) raspberries or blueberries or a combination
- 2 apples, peeled and cut into very thin wedges
- 1 lemon
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) white vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) cold butter, cut into small cubes
- Filling: Preheat oven to 400⁰F (200⁰C). In a small bowl, stir sugar with cornstarch and cinnamon. Place berries, apples, finely grated zest from lemon and 2 tsbp (30 mL) juice into 13 x 9-inch (3 L) baking dish. Gently stir in sugar mixture.
- Topping: In a measuring cup, stir milk with vinegar. Let stand 10 min. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk flour with sugar, baking powder, bakign soda and salt; using fingers or pastry blender, cut in butter until crumbly and you see bits of butter.
- Stir in milk mixture just until blended (it will not be smooth). Using a large spoon, dollop evenly over fruit. Fruit may still be showing. Bake 30-35 min or until topping is golden and fruit is bubbling. Let stand 10 min before serving.
Cooking Tip: When cutting butter into flour mixture, you should be able to see small bits of butter, some as big as the size of peas.
Leave a Comment
Comments are moderated and may not appear immediately