Create this delicious crisp crust to place on top of your favourite berries - a homestyle classic! This dessert pairs perfectly with a glass of milk or a scoop of ice cream on the side.
- 8-inch (2 L) square baking dish
- whisk or fork
- 6 cups (1.5 L) mixed berries (blueberries, raspberries, blackberries and sliced strawberries)
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cold butter, cut into cubes
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) milk
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375˚F (190˚C). Grease 8-inch (2 L) square baking dish. Toss together berries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon zest, lemon juice and butter; scrape into prepared pan.
- Topping: Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; using a pastry blender or fingertips, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs with a few larger pieces. Whisk milk with vanilla; gently stir into flour mixture using a fork to make ragged dough. Drop heaping tablespoonfuls randomly over filling. Brush tops lightly with additional milk.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until filling is bubbling and biscuits are golden brown and cooked through.
- Serve with vanilla Greek yogurt or ice cream.
- Substitute thawed and drained mixed frozen berries for fresh berries if desired.