Rolling enough spring rolls to have plenty to share at a gathering can take a while but the fresh, vibrant flavours in these homemade delights will be worth the extra effort! Get the family involved with the rolling – kids will love telling everyone they helped in the kitchen.
- baking pan
- DIPPING SAUCE
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) finely chopped green onion
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) sriracha sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced fresh ginger
- 1 tsp (5 mL) rice wine vinegar
- SPRING ROLLS
- 1 lb (500 g) large cooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) soy sauce
- 2 tsp (10 mL) minced fresh ginger
- 1 tsp (5 mL) minced garlic
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded purple cabbage
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) finely chopped green onion
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) canola oil, divided
- 1 pkg (340 g) square spring roll wrappers
- Replace shrimp with chopped bay scallops or a use combination of the two.
- To shred carrot and cabbage for the filling, use the large holes on the side of the box grater.
- Dipping Sauce: Stir together yogurt, mayonnaise, green onion, sriracha, ginger, and vinegar. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 3 days.
- Spring Rolls: Meanwhile, chop shrimp into small pieces. Toss with vinegar, soy sauce, ginger and garlic. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes; drain and discard liquid. Stir together shrimp, mozzarella, carrot, cabbage, and green onion.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF (200ºC). Line large baking sheet with parchment paper; brush all over with half of the oil. Set aside. On work surface, working with one wrapper at a time, lay out wrapper in diamond shape. Place 2 tbsp (30 mL) filling along bottom third of wrapper
- Fold up bottom over filling, bring in sides and roll up into tight log. Place on prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining filling and wrappers, placing rolls about 1 inch (2.5 cm) apart on baking sheet. Brush all over with remaining oil.
- Bake for 20 to 22 minutes or until golden brown and filling is heated through. Let stand for 2 minutes. Arrange on platter; serve with Dipping Sauce.