This rich and creamy dessert is a great make ahead, and delicious to serve to guests.
- Non-stick 8x4 inch (1.5L) pan
- 1 lb (454 g) semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) 35% whipping cream
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter
- 4 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) icing sugar
- 6 tbsp (90 mL) dark rum or Irish cream liqueur
- Whipped cream (optional)
- STRAWBERRY SAUCE:
- 1 lb (454 g) frozen strawberries
- 3 tbsp (4g) granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) water
- 2 tsp (10 mL) lemon juice
Tip: Semi Freddo can be frozen for up to 2 weeks.
- Strawberry Sauce: In a saucepan, combine strawberries, sugar, water and lemon juice over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 8 minutes or until strawberries start to break down and soften. Remove from heat and mash slightly with potato masher. Let cool and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Chocolate Semi Freddo: Place chocolate in a bowl set over the saucepan with barely simmering water to melt. Whisk in cream and butter until smooth and glossy. Remove from heat.
- Whisk in egg yolks, one at a time, stirring well after each addition. Whisk in egg yolks, one at a time, stirring well after each addition. Whisk in icing sugar and rum until well combined.
- Pour chocolate mixture into a non-stick 8x4 inch (1.5 L) pan and drop pan to even out and remove air bubbles. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 6 hours or overnight, or until firm.
- Remove plastic wrap from top of loaf and turn out onto the serving platter.
- Slice or alternatively, leave in pan and scoop into a bowl.
- Serve with strawberry sauce and whipped cream, if desired.