These Mexican-style eggs are perfect for breakfast or brunch – but they’re so delicious you’ll make them for lunch and dinner, too.
- Large Skillet
- Potato Masher
- Chef's Knife
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil, divided
- 1 lb (500 g) fresh chorizo sausage, casings removed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cumin, divided
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) canned diced tomatoes
- 3 canned chipotles in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 can (540 mL) black beans, drained
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) lime zest
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) lime juice
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) dried oregano
- 8 corn tortillas, toasted
- 8 eggs, fried
- 1 ripe avocado, halved, pitted, peeled chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) finely crumbled feta cheese
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) sour cream
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat 2 tbsp (30 mL) oil in large skillet set over medium heat; cook chorizo, onion, garlic, 1/4 tsp (1 mL) cumin, salt and pepper for 5 to 8 minutes or until chorizo starts to brown and vegetables start to soften. Stir in tomato paste; cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in diced tomatoes and chipotles in adobo; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook for about 15 minutes or until thickened.
- Meanwhile, in bowl, toss together black beans, lime zest, lime juice, remaining olive oil, remaining cumin and oregano. Mash with potato masher to desired consistency, adding 1 tbsp (15 mL) water if needed.
- Divide chorizo mixture and mashed black beans among tortillas. Top each with fried egg, avocado and cherry tomatoes. Sprinkle with Cheddar and feta cheese. Drizzle with sour cream and garnish with cilantro.
Substitute 4 thinly sliced radishes for cherry tomatoes or 1 thinly sliced jalapeño pepper. Heat beans before mashing if desired.