This cheesy comfort dish is a classic that your whole family will love!
- large pot
- high-sided skillet or large saucepan
- cutting knife
- 1 lb (500 g) elbow macaroni
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) all-purpose flour
- 4 cups (1 L) milk
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) dijon mustard
- 3/4 Tsp (4 mL) salt
- 1/4 (1 mL) pepper
- 1/2 Tsp (2 mL) hot sauce
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) shredded aged white and orange cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cheddar cheese spread
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) melted butter
Variation: Replace the parsley with chives if desired.
- Preheat oven to 400˚F (200˚C). Grease 13 x 9-inch (3.5 L) baking dish.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook macaroni until al dente; drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a high-sided skillet or large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; cook onion and garlic for about 5 minutes or until softened and lightly golden. Sprinkle flour over top; cook, stirring constantly, for 1 or 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in milk until smooth; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 to 8 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly. Stir in mustard, salt, pepper, hot sauce and nutmeg; remove from heat. Stir in shredded Cheddar cheese and cheese spread; stir in macaroni. Transfer to prepared baking dish.
- Topping: Stir together bread crumbs with Parmesan, parsley and melted butter.
- Sprinkle Topping evenly over macaroni. Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.