Cheese fondues are meant to be decadent and this one is no exception. Enjoy as a perfect appetizer or serve as a finish to a meal with port and fruit.
- large saucepan or fondue pot
- small bowl
- fondue burner (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) dry Riesling wine
- 1 lb (500 g) extra old Canadian cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 oz (250 g) local blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cornstarch
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) water
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) finely chopped toasted walnuts
- 1 tsp (5 mL) chopped fresh thyme
- Pinch of pepper
- 2 baguettes, cubed
- 2 pears, cored and cubed
- In a large saucepan or fondue pot, bring wine to a simmer over medium heat. Add cheeses, stirring until melted and smooth. Take your time and add the cheeses gradually, melting slowly for a richer, smoother result.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and water. Add gradually, stirring into the cheese mixture. Add the walnuts, thyme, and pepper. Pour into fondue pot and bring to a gentle simmer over fondue burner. Serve with baguette and pear.