French Toast Sticks are great for school lunch as they are easy to eat and made up of ingredients from 3 food groups.
- large flat dish or bowl
- measuring cup and spoons
- baking sheet
- parchment paper
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cinnamon
- 8 slices whole grain bread
- Preheat oven to 375 °F (190 °C).
- In a large flat dish whisk eggs with milk, vanilla and cinnamon. Dip bread into egg mixture. Turn to coat bread well. Allow bread to soak up egg mixture at least 5 minutes.
- To cook, use one or two (depending on the size of the bread) baking sheets. Line with parchment paper. Arrange bread in a single layer on prepared pan(s).
- Bake for 12 minutes. Turn bread over. Bake 10 to 15 minutes longer until browned and puffed.
- If serving immediately, cut into strips (3-4 strips/slice of bread) and serve. If preparing for lunches, allow French Toast to cool. Cut into strips, portion and store in a container for lunch. Send with fresh fruit and/or yogurt or syrup for dipping.