Add a Twist to your Classic Spaghetti Sauce
- Large Saucepan
- Large bowl
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 lb (500 g) Italian sausages, mild, hot or a combination
- 1 lb (500 g) lean ground beef
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk
- 2 (28 oz/796 mL each) cans plum tomatoes
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried hot red chili flakes (optional)
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add celery, carrots, onion, garlic, and salt; cook stirring occasionally until tender, about 5 min.
- Remove sausages from casings and add to pan along with ground beef. Use a fork to break up meat; stir continously over medium heat until no longer pink, about 5 min. Add milk.
- Gently boil, uncovered, stiring occasionally for 5 min.
- Add tomatoes, mashing with a potato masher to break them up. Add parsley and chili flakes, if using mild sausage.
- Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally 30 min or until thickness desired.
Cooking Tip: When cooking pasta, use a big pot, salt water generously and don't add oil to the water.
Leave a Comment
Comments are moderated and may not appear immediately