It's cocoon time. Time to pull your favourite blanket, tune in to your favourite show and indulge in this pasta with a tasty new twist.
- large pot
- cutting board
- measuring cups and spoons
- medium saucepan
- 1 lb (450 g) orecchiette
- 1 cauliflower, cut into bite-size florets
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 2 cups (500 mL) milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) grated parmesan
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) finely grated lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) drained capers
- 1 cup (250 mL) coarsely chopped parsley
- Grated parmesan for serving
(1) In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta for 5 min. Add cauliflower to pasta. Continue to cook pasta and cauliflower 7 to 8 more min or until pasta is al dente and cauliflower is very tender.
(2) Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Sprinkle with flour, salt and cayenne; whisking about 1 min. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Whisk 3 to 5 min or until smooth and thickened.
(3) Drain pasta and cauliflower and return to pot. Pour in sauce; stir about 2 min over medium heat to coat pasta. Stir in parmesan, lemon zest and juice, capers and parsley. Serve with parmesan.
Variation: Add leftover grilled chicken. Substitute small shell-shaped pasta for orecchiette.