Here’s a wholesome dessert or snack that’s similar to rice pudding. It’s easy to make and can be garnished with any assortment of nuts, dried fruit or even a bit of chopped dark chocolate.
- 4 cups (1 L) milk
- 1 cup (250 mL) basmati rice
- 1 can (300 mL) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) raisins
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground cardamom
- Pinch saffron
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped pistachios
- Garnish with almonds, cashews, cranberries or toasted coconut.
- Replace cardamom with ground cinnamon or nutmeg, or a pinch of saffron threads.
- In saucepan set over medium heat, combine milk and rice; bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for about 15 minutes or until rice is tender but still toothsome.
- Stir in condensed milk, raisins, cardamom and saffron; bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until rice is tender. Spoon into bowls and top with pistachios.