You're in for a berry zesty treat!
- Large mixing bowl
- Loaf Pans (5)
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Bowls
- Electric mixer
- 1 cup (250 mL) butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups (310 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 lemon
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) yellow cornmeal
- 2 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 2 cups (500 mL) fresh blueberries
- LEMON GLAZE (OPTIONAL):
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) icing sugar
1. Preheat over to 375°F (180°C). Butter well (5x3-inch/500 mL) 5 loaf pans/ Set on a baking sheet.
2. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter with sugar and finely grated zest from lemon until creamy. Measure milk, then stir in 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice. Set aside. Add eggs one at a time to butter mixture, beating well after each addition and scraping down sides of bowl. Beat in vanilla. Don't worry if mixture curdles.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk flour with cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Set aside 1/3 cup (75 mL) blueberries. Gently stir remaining blueberries into batter.
4. Spoon batter into prepared pans. Sprinkle with reserved berries. Bake 30 to 35 min or until a tester inserted in centre of loaves comes out clean. Cool in pans for 15 min. Run a knife around edge of loaves and remove from pans. Transfer to a rack to cool completely.
5. Lemon Glaze: Finely grate 2 tsp (10 mL) lemon zest into a small bowl and squeeze out a tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice. Stir in icing sugar. It will be quite thick. Once loaves have cooled completely dip fork in glaze and using a back-and-forth motion over loaves, drizzle glaze on top.
Leave a Comment
Comments are moderated and may not appear immediately