White chocolate and Mascarpone give this irresistible take on the classic cheesecake a luxurious texture and taste. Add the local and tart taste of rhubarb to balance it out.
- Springform Pan
- Large mixing bowl
- Small mixing bowl
- Small cooking pot
- 1 1/4 cups (310 mL) graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cups (60 mL) butter, melted
- 6 oz (170 g) white chocolate, chopped
- 2 (250 g) pks regular block cream cheese, at room temperature
- 250 or 275 mL container Canadian Mascarpone
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cornstarch
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups (500 mL) 14% sour cream
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- RHUBARB SAUCE:
- 5 cups (1.25L) (1/2-inch/1 cm) slice rhubarb, about 1 1/2 lb (750 g)
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) water
1. Crust: Preheat oven to 350⁰F (180⁰C). Butter a 10-inch (25 cm) springform pan. In a bowl, stir graham cracker crumbs with butter. Press into the bottom of pan. Bake 10 min or until crust is a deep golden brown. Leave oven on. Set aside while preparing filling.
2. Filling: In a microwave, melt chocolate 1 to 2 min, stirring every 30 seconds until nearly melted. Stir to completely melt. Beat cream cheese with Mascarpone cheese, sugar and cornstarch until smooth, about 1 min. Add eggs one at a time, beating just until mixed and scraping down side of bowl after each addition. Beat in sour cream and vanilla just until mixed. With mixer running, beat in chocolate just until mixed. Pour over crust. Bake in a preheated over 1 hour.
3. Turn off oven; leave cheesecake in oven 55 to 60 min or until top jiggles slightly when gently shaken. 4. Using a knife, go around rim of pan to release cheesecake, but leave in pan. Cool on a rack 2 hours. Refrigerate at least 4 hours, but preferably overnight. 5. Rhubarb Sauce: Place rhubarb, sugar and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil; simmer gently, uncovered, stirring occassionally 5 min until sauce-like in consistency but some pieces remain. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve wedges of cheesecake with rhubarb sauce spooned over top.