This flavourful soup is full of warm spices with a light creaminess. The apples add a bit of tang and sweetness.
- Large saucepan
- Immersion blender
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Cutting board
- Chopping knife
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) minced fresh ginger
- 2 tsp (10 mL) curry powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) turmeric
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 tart apple, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 4 cups (1 L) chicken broth
- 2 cups (500 mL) milk
- 1 cup (250 mL) dried lentils
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) 35% cream
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh cilantro
- Melt butter in large saucepan set over medium heat; cook onion, garlic, flour, ginger, curry powder, thyme, turmeric and salt for about 5 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in apple and celery; cook for 5 minutes. Stir in chicken broth, milk and lentils; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Blend soup with immersion blender until smooth. Stir in cream and lemon juice. Garnish with cilantro.
Tip: Serve with toasted naan bread.