This spicy noodle dish with ground pork and stir-fried shiitake mushrooms features a creamy sesame sauce for an explosion of flavours.
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) milk
- 2 tsp (10 mL) cornstarch
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) tahini paste
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) soy sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) sesame oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced fresh ginger
- 1 tsp (5 mL) brown sugar
- 10 oz (300 g) dried egg noodles
- 1 bunch Chinese greens, trimmed
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) canola oil, divided
- 1 lb (500 g) ground pork
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) Chinese 5-spice powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper, divided
- 1 red finger chili pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tsp (20 mL) chili oil
- 1/2 lb (250 g) shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
- 1 cup (250 mL) canned coconut cream
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 4 tsp (20 mL) toasted sesame seeds
TIP: As an alternative, use a medley of mushrooms, such as cremini, oyster, king oyster or portobello mushrooms.
- Whisk together milk and cornstarch until smooth; set aside. Whisk together tahini paste, soy sauce, and vinegar until smooth; stir in sesame oil, ginger, and brown sugar; set aside.
- Cook noodles according to package directions, adding Chinese greens in the last minute of cooking. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup (60 mL) cooking liquid.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp canola oil in large wok or skillet set over high heat; cook pork, 5-spice powder, half of the salt and pepper, chili pepper and garlic, stirring, for 5 to 8 minutes or until browned and cooked through. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add remaining canola oil and chili oil to wok; cook mushrooms, stirring, for 3 to 5 minutes or until golden. Toss with noodles, greens, reserved cooking liquid, pork, and remaining salt and pepper until noodles are well coated. Divide among 4 bowls.
- Add coconut cream to wok; bring to boil. Cook for 2 minutes. Stir in tahini paste mixture; return to boil. Stir in reserved milk mixture; return to boil. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until thickened; divide among bowls. Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds.