Here we offer a truly spring version of the recipe, featuring asparagus, spring onions and baby spinach greens. The key is to lightly cook the vegetables before combining them with the cooked pasta and the cream sauce.
- cutting board and knife
- measuring cups and spoons
- large pot to boil pasta
- large sauté pan
- wooden spoon
- large bowl or platter for serving
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 1/2 lb (225 g) asparagus, trimmed and cut into thirds
- 5 green onions, finely sliced
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 c (500 mL) mushrooms, sliced
- 1 lb (45 g) baby spinach
- 1 lb (450 g) linguini
- 4 Tbsp (60 mL) butter
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) chicken stock (or use pasta water)
- 2/3 c (125 mL) yogurt
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) fresh parsley, chopped
Legend has it that pasta primavera had its beginnings in Canada—yes, Canada! Vacationing NY chefs were rummaging in the refrigerator of their hosts’ Nova Scotia home to make something different after several days of meals featuring wild boar… something to go with pasta. Finding bits of various vegetables, pasta primavera was born. So good was the result that the recipe found its way to menu of the celebrated restaurant, Le Cirque, where it became one of the most popular dishes.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil over high heat.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in large sauté pan over medium heat. Add asparagus and onions and cook until barely tender, about 3-4 minutes. Add in garlic and mushrooms and cook for another 2 minutes. Remove from heat, toss in spinach and combine. Cover pot to allow the residual heat to wilt the spinach. Season with salt and pepper, and set aside in a bowl when the spinach has wilted.
- Drop linguini into the boiling water and cook until al dente, about 9 minutes. Drain.
- In the large sauté pan, add 4 Tbsp of butter. When it melts, add the chicken stock, cheese and yogurt. Heat and stir until smooth. Add the drained pasta and toss to coat the linguine with the sauce. Return the cooked vegetables to the pan and toss to combine well. Turn the mixture into a large bowl or platter for serving.
- Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley.