Savoury chicken balls cook right in the simmering soup.
- Large stock pot
- Wooden spoon
- Measuring cup
- Cutting board and knife
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) all purpose flour
- 4 cups (1 L) peeled, diced, raw potatoes
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped leeks (white part only)*
- 6 cups (1.5 L) chicken stock**
- 2 cups (500 mL) milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) grated carrots
- Chicken balls
- * onions may be substituted although leeks have a milder flavour
- ** can substitute with 6 cups (1.5 L) water and 2 Tbsp (30 mL) low-salt chicken bouillon powder or liquid
This delicious soup includes a delightful surprise—savoury chicken balls which cook right in the simmering soup.
- In a large stock pot over medium heat, melt butter.
- Blend in flour, cooking and stirring until mixture is golden.
- Add potatoes and leeks, stirring until vegetables are well coated with mixture.
- Gradually add chicken stock and milk.
- Cook, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and boils.
- Add parsley, carrots and chicken balls. Reduce heat.
- Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot, with a dollop of yogurt or sour cream if desired.
Leave a Comment
Comments are moderated and may not appear immediately