Rhubarb Scone: Moist, tender and perfect for rhubarb season
- measuring cups and spoons
- large bowl
- stirring spoons and whisk
- pastry cutter
- 2 small bowls
- cookie sheet
- parchment paper
- 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sugar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped rhubarb
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp (10 mL) sugar
- 1/2 (2 ml) ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Using a pastry cutter, cut the butter into the flour, until you have coarse crumbs. This can also be done with two knives or a food processor. Stir in the rhubarb.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs lightly and combine with the buttermilk. Add to the flour mixture and stir until just moist.
- On a lightly floured surface, turn the sticky dough out and knead lightly. On a baking sheet lined with parchment or silicone mat, pat the dough onto a 9-inch circle. Score into 12 wedges.
- In another small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle the dough. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden. Serve warm.