Picking zucchini blossoms in season from the garden make this tart extra special. Not to worry—zucchini squash adds just as much colour and flavour as a topping as well.
- Pie Plate
- 1 9 inch (23 cm) pie crust (homemade or store-bought)
- 1 cup (250 mL) ricotta cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp (75 mL) fresh grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh basil
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) grated lemon zest
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter, melted and divided
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- Pinch each of salt and pepper
- 12 zucchini blossoms (flowers), stemmed with stamens removed or one each small yellow and green zucchini squash
- Preheat oven to 400° F (200° C).
- Place pie crust into pie plate and flute edge of crust; set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together ricotta cheese, eggs, 1/4 cup (60 mL) of the parmesan cheese, basil, 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the butter, chives, garlic, salt, and pepper until smooth. Pour into pastry crust and spread evenly. Place zucchini blossoms decoratively on top. Brush with remaining butter and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake on bottom rack of oven for about 20 minutes or until pastry is golden and knife inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Thinly slice 1 small green or yellow zucchini and substitute for the zucchini flowers.
- Substitute for ricotta cheese.