This salad is colourful, and filled with so much flavour too!
- large baking sheet
- large bowl
- medium-size platter
- cutting knife
- 3 cups (750 mL) pieces (about 1/2 inch/1 cm) butternut squash about 1/2 squash
- 1/4 Tsp (1 mL) each, salt and cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) butter, melted
- 1 cup (250 mL) canned lentils, rinsed and well drained
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) pistachios, hazelnuts or pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) pumpkin seeds, preferably unsalted
- 4 cups (1 L) of your favourite baby greens
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) plain yogurt
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) tahini
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 Tsp (1 mL) each, ground cumin and salt
- 1 to 3 Tbsp (15 to 45 mL) milk (optional)
Cooking tip: Tahini is a sesame seed paste commonly used in Middle Eastern cooking. Try using tahini to make hummus.
- Salad: Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Place squash on a large baking sheet. Stir salt and cayenne into melted butter. Drizzle over squash. Stir until squash is coated. Roast for 15 minutes or until tender, stirring halfway through.
- Dressing: Meanwhile, stir yogurt with tahini, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, and salt. Thin with milk if needed, for drizzling consistency.
- Place warm squash in a large bowl. Toss with lentils, pomegranate seeds, nuts, pumpkin seeds and then add greens.
- Transfer half the salad to a medium-sized platter. Drizzle with half the dressing. Top with remaining salad; drizzle with remaining dressing.