Mason jars are filled with layers of crisp lettuce, sweet and spicy pork, crunchy carrots and crushed peanuts for this flavourful on-the-go salad. Perfect with a cold glass of milk.
- Large nonstick skillet
- Wooden spoon
- Mason jar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) canola oil
- 1 lb (500 g) ground pork
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 green Thai chili pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) minced fresh ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) milk
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) sriracha hot sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lime juice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) brown sugar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) lemongrass paste
- 2 tsp (10 mL) fish sauce (optional)
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 4 cups (1 L) shredded leafy green lettuce
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) finely chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) finely chopped fresh green onion
- 1 cup (250 mL) matchstick carrots
- 1 cup (250 mL) matchstick cucumbers
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) crushed peanuts
- Lime Wedges
- Substitute jalapeño or red bird’s eye chili pepper for green Thai chili pepper if desired.
- Lemongrass paste can be found in the refrigerated section of the produce department at most grocery stores.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat; cook pork, breaking up with wooden spoon, for 8 to 10 minutes or until browned. Add onion; cook for about 5 minutes or until tender. Add chili pepper, ginger and garlic; cook for about 1 minute or until fragrant. Drain fat from pan.
- Whisk together milk, sriracha, lime juice, brown sugar, lemongrass paste, fish sauce (if using), and salt. Pour over pork; stir to combine. Cook, stirring often, for 8 to 10 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated and mixture is saucy. Remove from heat.
- Combine lettuce, mint, cilantro and green onion; divide evenly among 4 Mason jars. Top with pork mixture, carrots, cucumbers and peanuts. Serve with lime wedges.