Jasmine rice is cooked with milk and a splash of cream until very tender for a silky rich thai-style rice pudding.
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Heavy-bottom saucepan
- Spoon for stirring
- Serving dishes
- 1 2/3 cups (400 mL) milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) jasmine rice
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) 35% whipping cream
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Pinch salt
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) lime juice
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) lime zest
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh local berries
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- In heavy-bottom saucepan set over medium heat, combine milk, rice, 1 cup (250 mL) water, whipping cream, brown sugar, cinnamon stick and salt.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, uncovered, stirring often, for 30 to 40 minutes or until rice is soft and very tender.
- Remove cinnamon stick.
- Stir in lime juice, lime zest and vanilla.
- Divide evenly among 4 serving dishes.
- Let cool slightly or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Top with berries and basil; sprinkle with cinnamon.
Tip: Add 1 star anise and seeds from 4 cardamom pods along with cinnamon stick if desired.
Leave a Comment
Comments are moderated and may not appear immediately