Made with sweetened condensed milk, Vietnamese-Style yogurt is creamy and velvety, with a perfect sweet-tart balance.
- Large slow cooker
- Tea towels
- 8 cups (2 L) milk
- 1 can (300 mL) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) plain yogurt (with live and active cultures)
- To make fresh yogurt, you need the live bacterial cultures in yogurt in order to set the mixture. You can use store-bought yogurt or purchase a yogurt starter or, when making a second batch of fresh yogurt, you can use some of the yogurt from the previous batch.
- The goal is to heat the milk to about 180°F (82°C) at first, then let it cool down to 110° to 115°F (43° to 46°C) before adding the yogurt to ensure it will not kill the live cultures.
- Serve this delicious yogurt with fruit and nuts for breakfast or as a snack, enjoy it as a drinkable yogurt, or use it as the base of a sauce or marinade.