Get back to school. Get back to comfort food. Fall is on its way and this hot and tasty meal will get an A+ in everyone's book. Serve with a salad on the side and dinner is ready.
- 4 baking potatoes or 8 small baking potatoes
- 1 1/3 cup (325 mL) milk, divided
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt, divided
- 1 small celery stalk, minced
- 1 green onion, finely minced
- 7-oz (198 mL) can solid tuna, drained well
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Dijon mustard
- Hot sauce to taste
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) shredded Canadian Aged Cheddar, divided
(1) Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Prick potatoes all over and set on paper towel in microwave. Time will vary depending on potato size and microwave. Microwave uncovered on high for 10 min. Turn over, microwave for 3 to 10 more min; the larger and more potatoes you have will increase time. Continue to microwave on high in 1-min increments until potatoes are tender in centre.
(2) When cool enough to handle, cut a cross in centre of each potato, from one end to the other. Peel back skin on top of potatoes to make it easier to scoop out potato flesh. From each potato, scoop out about 1∕2 cup (125 mL) flesh (less if using small potatoes), making sure to leave enough of a rim that potato keeps its shape. Place flesh in a medium bowl. Add 1∕3 cup (75 mL) milk and 1∕4 tsp (1 mL) salt; mash until as smooth as you like. Stir in celery and green onion, then fold in tuna. Place potato shells on a baking sheet and stuff with mixture. Reheat in oven while preparing sauce.
(3) Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Sprinkle with flour and remaining salt; whisk about 1 min. Gradually whisk in remaining milk, then mustard and hot sauce. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and whisk 3 to 5 min until smooth and thickened. Remove from heat; whisk in 1 cup (250 mL) Cheddar until melted.
(4) Transfer hot potatoes to plates. Serve with sauce spooned over potatoes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Variation: Drizzle salsa over your stuffed potatoes. Substitute 1∕2 tsp (2 mL) dry mustard powder for Dijon.
Per serving: 294 Cal. | 20 g Protein | 32 g Carb. | 10 g Fat | 4.6 g Fibre | 432 mg Sodium | 231 mg Calcium