There are so many beverage options out there. Here are five tips that will help you get enough fluid while making healthier choices.
Drinking enough fluids is important for health but what you drink is equally important. There are so many beverage options out there. Some are more nutritious than others. Canada’s Food Guide suggests we make water and other healthy beverages like milk our drink of choice.
Good news on the water front: According to the latest data from Stats Canada, Canadians are drinking more water. However this may be coming at a cost for important nutrients from milk. The same data source cites a decline in milk consumption, meaning “it also decreased the intake of a number of other nutrients including calcium and viramin D.”1
So continue to drink water throughout the day while including milk at meals or snacks
Here are five tips that will help you get enough fluid while making healthier choices:
- Keep a cold pitcher of water in your fridge.
- Make a smoothie for a snack. Blend a few handfuls of fruit, a few scoops of yogurt and some milk.
- Add slices of cucumber, lemon or orange to your water for a natural, refreshing flavour.
- Keep a water bottle on your desk.
- Invest in a good thermos to carry milk in your lunch.
Want more ideas? Check out Thirst for Nutrition: Add Value to Your Choices.
- Garriguet, D. Changes in beverage consumption in Canada. Statistics Canada 2019. Catalogue no. 82-003-X.