Give new life to a favourite food! Experiment with these mouth-watering flavour boosters:
• Red pepper flakes deliver delicious heat to lightly sautéed fresh or frozen greens.
• Grainy mustard and lemon adds tangy freshness to fish, like cod.
• A dash of nutmeg is neat on carrots, butternut squash and parsnips.
• Curry livens up lentil soup and makes a tofu-and-veggie stir-fry sizzle.
• Cinnamon pairs sweetly with apples, pears and sweet potatoes.
Want to try new foods but not sure where to start? These tasty ideas are sure to tempt you:
• Toss slivers of raw purple beets, green pears, feta and flax in a vinaigrette for a salad that’s bursting with colour and crunch.
• Squeeze lime juice onto grilled pineapple for a naturally sweet dessert.
• Make mushroom risotto with toasted barley and low-sodium broth, and then sprinkle with Parmesan for a flavour-filled side dish.
• Sauté apples in a little butter, dust with cinnamon and top with toasted oats, crumbled walnuts and creamy yogurt for a superb Sunday breakfast.
By Rola Zahr, MPH, RD
Adapted from The Dietitians of Canada’s Nutrition Month Campaign Materials. Find more information about Nutrition Month at:www.nutritionmonth2016.ca