Need new ideas to recycle your empty milk jugs? Turn them into fun hanging spring planters with a few easy steps.
Spring is in the air. With the new season and spring break around the corner comes great opportunities to teach kids about the environment. There’s no better way than to engage them than in a fun hands-on activity such as making these hanging planters from recycled milk cartons.
- 1 empty milk carton (2L or 1L)
- Xacto knife and/or scissors
- Acrylic paint
- Paint brushes
- Hot glue gun (recommended) or white liquid glue
- Hole puncher (Recommended)
- Rinse out the milk carton and remove any labels.
- Using an xacto knife or sissors, remove the bottom of the carton. Save the bottom, it will become the pirate’s hat.
- Using a marker, design your pirate.
- Paint your pirate.
- Use the hot glue gun to attach the pirate’s hat onto the planter. If a hot glue gun is not available, use white liquid glue and tape the back of the hat to the inside of the carton until the glue is dry.
- Create two holes with a hole puncher or sissors and attatch a piece of string. This will allow your planter to hang.
- Place soil and your favourite plants into the planter and hang on a post or fence.