- 10 slices bacon
- chopped 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) all-purpose flour
- 3 cups (750 mL) local 2% milk
- 1 cup (750 mL) chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 potatoes (about 12 oz/375 g), peeled and chopped
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
- 2 cups (500 mL) frozen or fresh corn kernels
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh dill Fresh dill sprigs
- Shredded aged Cheddar
- In a soup pot, cook bacon over medium-high heat for about 8 minutes or until crispy. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Reduce heat to medium and add celery and onion; cook, stirring for about 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in flour to coat; cook for 1 minute. Whisk in milk and broth until smooth. Add potatoes, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, stirring frequently, and simmer gently for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir in reserved bacon, corn and dill and cook for about 5 minutes or until corn is heated through.
- Ladle into bowls and top with Cheddar and garnish with dill sprigs to serve.