- Nonstick skillet
- Heat proof bowl
- Chopping knife
- Large bowl
- Stirring spoon
- Plastic Wrap
- 4 slices of bacon
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) butter
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) maple syrup
- 2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) grated extra old cheddar cheese
- In a nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium high heat until crispy; reserve fat and remove bacon to paper towel lined plate. Pour bacon fat into small heat proof bowl to cool. Finely chop bacon.
- In a large bowl, beat together butter, sugar, maple syrup, and cooled bacon fat until smooth and creamy. Stir in chopped bacon.
- In another bowl, whisk together flour and baking powder. Stir in cheese. Gradually stir flour mixture into butter mixture until dough comes together. Knead together and divide dough into 4 equal pieces. Roll each into a log and wrap with plastic wrap. Shape into a square log and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until dough is very firm. Make-ahead: Refrigerate for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 2 weeks.
- Preheat oven to 325° F (160° C).
- Slice into 1/2 inch (1 cm) slices and place on parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake for about 15 minutes or until light golden. Repeat with remaining dough.