- Measuring cups and spoons
- 13 x 9-inch (3 L) Glass baking dish
- Large bowl
- Plastic wrap or cover for baking dish
- Small bowl
- 6 thick slices bread (about 3/4″ or 2 cm), preferably whole wheat
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) packed brown sugar, divided
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground cinnamon
- 2 cups (500 mL) milk
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter, melted
- 4 cups (1 L) mixed berries (thawed and drained, if frozen)
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch (3 L) glass baking dish. Arrange bread in a single layer in dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon until blended; whisk in milk and vanilla. Pour evenly over bread.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400° F (200° C).
- In a small bowl, combine remaining 1/4 cup (60 mL) sugar, pecans and melted butter. Spread berries evenly over bread mixture; sprinkle with pecan mixture.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until bread is puffed in the centre and fruit is bubbling.