- large pot
- sauté pan
- 1.5L casserole dish (5”x9”)
- 2 cups ziti pasta (about 250g)
- 4 cups marinara sauce (1L)
- ½ pound Italian sausage (about 225g)
- ½ cup onion, small diced (125ml)
- 2 tbsp olive oil (30ml)
- ½ cup ricotta (125 ml)
- 1 tsp dried oregano (5 ml)
- 1 tsp dried basil (5 ml)
- 1 tsp dried parsley (5 ml)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder (2.5ml)
- 1 ½ cup mozzarella, shredded (375ml)
- ¼ cup parmesan, shredded (60ml)
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375˚F (190˚C).
- Place water in a large pot over high heat, bring to a boil and cook ziti pasta for 4 minutes less then recommended on the package. Strain when done.
- While the pasta is cooking, combine ricotta with oregano, basil, parsley and garlic powder. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a medium sauté pan heat olive oil, add the sausage and cook until brown and cooked through. Add the onion and cook until onion is soft. Now add the marinara and warm the sauce.
- Toss the cooked ziti pasta with ¾ cup of marinara, try to use only the sauce and leave the sausage and onion.
- To build, place half of the pasta on bottom of the casserole dish, top with half of the Italian-marinara sauce, dollop halve of the ricotta mixture around and add half of the mozzarella. Now put the rest of the pasta on top of the cheese, followed by the rest of the sauce, ricotta dollop, and the rest of the mozzarella. Finish with the parmesan on top.
- Bake in oven for about 30 minutes until cheese is melted and baked pasta is hot and bubbling. Enjoy!