- Semolina Cake: Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease and line 9-inch (23 cm) square cake pan with enough parchment paper to overhang edges; set aside.
- In bowl, whisk together semolina, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt until blended. In separate large bowl, whisk together 1 cup (250 mL) yogurt, melted butter and vanilla; stir in semolina mixture just until combined. Scrape into prepared pan; smooth top. Let stand for 20 minutes. Score into 16 squares; arrange hazelnut in centre of each square.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown and cake tester comes out clean when inserted into centre of cake. Let cool completely on rack.
- Syrup: In small saucepan, bring sugar and 1/2 cup (125 mL) water to boil; cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until thickened slightly. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon zest, lemon juice and rose water. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Pour hot syrup evenly over cooled cake. Let stand for at least 1 hour. Remove cake from pan using parchment paper handles. Slice cake along scored lines. Serve with dollops of remaining yogurt.
• Substitute orange blossom water or vanilla extract for rose water if desired.
• Substitute almonds or pistachios for hazelnuts if desired.