- Peel potatoes and cut into ½ inch pieces.
- Slice sausage into medallions about ½ inch wide.
- Remove kale from its spine and chop into small pieces.
- In a large pot, add about 2 inches of water – enough to cover potatoes, sausage and kale.
- Bring to a boil with lid on the pot. Then boil on low until potatoes are tender (about 35 mins). Drain liquid into a container and set aside for later. The liquid is what gives most of the flavor.
- Take out the sausage and set aside. Cream the potatoes and kale together with butter, salt, pepper, and vinegar. Add 1cup of the reserved liquid using a potato masher or mixer. Add more liquid as needed but don’t let the potato mash get too thin.
- Plate the kale mash on a platter placing the sausage on the sides. Enjoy!
Want to try more Dutch-inspired recipes? Try this sweet Dutch Easter fruited bread, paasstol. Or arrange a Dutch cheese platter that’s sure to please.