- deep skillet or saucepan
- large pot
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) extra virgin olive oil,plus more for drizzling
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) black olives, pitted
- 6-8 anchovy fillets, roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) drained capers
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) hot pepper flakes
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) crushedtomatoes
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into smallflorets
- 1 lb (500 g) pasta
- 1 cup (250 mL) freshly gratedCanadian Asiago
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large, deep skillet or saucepan, heat 1/4 cup (60 mL) of the oil over medium-high heat. When the oil shimmers, add the onion, olives, anchovies and capers; sauté for a few minutes until the anchovies start to dissolve and the onions soften. Stir in the hot pepper flakes and tomatoes. Add the cauliflower and cook, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes or until the cauliflower is tender. Reduce heat to low.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt water liberally and stir in the pasta. Cook pasta for about 4 minutes or until about two-thirds of the way cooked. Drain pasta, reserving about 2 cups (500 mL) of the cooking water.
- Stir pasta into the cauliflower sauce along with the reserved pasta cooking water and continue to cook the pasta on medium-high heat until al dente and the water has reduced. Remove from heat; sprinkle with cheese and drizzle with some extra virgin olive oil. Give everything a stir and then let rest for about 5 minutes before serving so all the flavours can come together.