- Soup pot
- Immersion blender or food processor
- 8 oz (250 g) bacon slices, chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 4 small sweet potatoes (about 2 lb/1 kg), peeled and chopped
- 3 potatoes (about 1 lb/454 g),
- peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) dried sage leaves or 1 tsp (5 mL) ground sage
- 7 cups (1.75 L) chicken broth
- 1 cup (250 mL) 35% whipping cream
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) shredded marble cheese (optional)
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- In a soup pot, cook bacon over medium high heat until crispy. Remove with slotted spoon to paper towel lined plate. Reduce heat to medium; discard all but 2 tbsp (30 mL) of the bacon fat. Add butter to pot.
- Stir in sweet potatoes, potatoes, carrots, and onions and cook for about 10 minutes or until onions start to soften. Stir in garlic and sage; cook for 1 minute. Pour in broth and bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer for about 25 minutes or until vegetables are very soft.
- Using an immersion blender, puree soup. Alternatively, ladle into blender or food processor in batches to puree. Stir in cream, salt, and pepper and heat through.
- Ladle into soup bowls and sprinkle with bacon, cheese (if using), and parsley.