Prepare beans in advance
- In a large pot combine the dry pinto beans, chopped onions, smashed garlic cloves, and green peppers. Cover the ingredients with water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium, cover, and continue to boil for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until the bean skins begin to split. Remove a few beans with a slotted laddle to check if it is soft. Remove from heat. Do not drain water.
- Using an electric emulsifier, blend the cooked soft beans with the vegetables to your desired consistency. El Salvadorians like their beans smooth and silky. Add a little salt to taste, approximately 1/2 teaspoon or as desired.
Refry beans for breakfast
- Heat butter in a large frying pan, reduce heat and add chopped onions. Slowly cook to caramelize onions until dark brown.
- Turn the heat up to high. Add oil to lightly coat pan and refry beans prepared in advance with the caramelized onions. Set aside while cooking other foods.
Cook other breakfast items
- Fry pork sausages in a pan. Or for a vegetarian option, fry plantain bananas until soft and lightly browned.
- Make 1-2 eggs to your liking. Season eggs as desired or top with sour cream or feta cheese.
- Cut fresh avocados in half then in to slices and serve uncooked. Half an avacado for each serving.
- Tip: if there is rice left over from dinner, heat rice and serve with the refried beans!