- measuring cups and spoons
- cutting board and knife
- large baking sheet
- parchment paper
- medium saucepan
- 2 sheets (about 450 g) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried basil
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk
- 2 plum tomatoes
- 2 mushrooms
- 2 thin slices deli ham
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded mozzarella
- fresh basil for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Unroll puff pastry and place side by side (overlapping slightly to form one large crust) to fit on a large parchment-lined baking sheet. Press the overlapped dough together so it sticks. Prick all over with a fork. Press edges with a fork. Refrigerate pastry until ready to use.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Sprinkle with flour, basil and salt; whisk about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Whisk for 2 minutes until smooth and thickened; set aside.
- Thinly slice tomatoes and mushrooms. Cut ham into pieces. Drizzle cooled milk sauce over the pastry, leaving about a ½ inch (1 cm) around edges. Spread to barely cover crust. Arrange tomatoes, mushrooms and ham over sauce. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake about 15 minutes or until a deep golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with basil, if using.
- If you can only find frozen blocks of puff pastry, thaw and roll the two together to form a rectangle to fit the baking sheet.
- For additional flavour, scatter pizza with fresh thyme leaves. Substitute your favourite pizza toppings for the ones above.