- wooden spoon
- large bowl
- medium bowl
- 9×9 inch (23 x 23 cm) baking pan
- parchment paper
- ¾ cup (175 ml) unsalted butter
- 1 2/3 cup (390 ml) granulated white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) vanilla extract
- ½ cup (125 ml) milk
- 1 ½ cups (375 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 ml) cocoa powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1 cup (250 ml) semisweet chocolate chips
- Optional: ½ cup (125 ml) walnuts or pecans for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C). Line a 9 x 9 inch (23 x 23 cm) baking dish with parchment and set it aside.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, and salt in a large bowl and set it aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Once boiling, add the sugar and stir with a wooden spoon. Pour the butter mixture into the flour mixture and stir to combine. The mixture will be very thick – it is okay if it is not fully incorporated.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs until frothy. Add the milk and vanilla extract and stir to combine. Add the milk mixture to the flour-butter mixture and whisk all ingredients well. You will get a thick and glossy batter.
- Add the chocolate chips and stir to incorporate.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and top with nuts.
- Bake for 35 minutes. When done, the edges will appear cooked through and the middle set. Allow brownies to cool and set for 20 minutes before slicing. Enjoy!