- medium saucepan
- 8 x 8-inch (20 x 20 cm) baking dish
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, about 1 1/2 lb (750 g) in total
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 Tsp (2 mL) salt
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (500 mL) 18% cream or a 473 mL container
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh thyme (optional)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded aged cheddar
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Peel potatoes; slice into rounds no thicker than 1/8 inch (0.3 cm).
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; add garlic and salt. Stir 1 minute.
- Whisk in flour until combined. Gradually add cream, whisking until combined. Bring to a boil, whisking occasionally until thickened, for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Layer half the potatoes in an 8 x 8-inch (20 x 20 cm) baking dish. Scatter with half the thyme. Top with half the cream sauce. Repeat with remaining potatoes; drizzle remaining cream mixture over top. Press potatoes to even out layers and coat in cream. Cover with foil. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with Cheddar cheese and remaining thyme. Bake uncovered for 15 minutes until bubbly and top is a deep golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes.