This rich and creamy soup will warm you from head to toe.
- Large Pot
- Wooden Spoon
- Immersion Blender or Normal Blender
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) curry powder
- 1 medium butternut or large acorn squash, peeled and chopped (about 6 cups)
- 2 apples, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups (500 mL) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups (500 mL) milk, warmed
- Salt and pepper
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté for about 5 min or until softened. Stir in curry powder, squash and apples; sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes or until squash and apples are soft.
- Using an immersion blender in pot or transferring soup in batches to an upright blender, purée until smooth. Return to pot, if necessary.
- Stir in warm milk and reheat soup over medium heat, stirring, until steaming (do not let boil).
- Season to taste with up to 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt and pepper.
- Ladle into warmed bowls and garnish with fresh herbs if desired.