Squeezing in quality time over dinner is an important part of our family's day. This is a favourite—easy to prepare, healthy and a hit with the whole family.
Dairy Farmers of Canada
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Cutting board and knife
- Cheese grater
- 8-cup (2 L) Casserole dish
- Large saucepan
- Stirring spoon
- Large pot for boiling macaroni
- Small bowl for mixing topping
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped celery
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cups (325 mL) milk
- 1 can (370 mL) 2% evaporated milk
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded old cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) each, salt and pepper
- 2 cups (500 mL) macaroni
- 3 cups (750 mL) small broccoli florets
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced Black Forest Ham or cooked crumbled bacon (optional)
- 1 Tbsp (30 mL) butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) fresh multigrain bread crumbs
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) dried Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 375° F (190° C).
- Butter an 8-cup (2 L) casserole dish.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; sauté onion and celery for about 3 minutes or until lightly golden. Sprinkle with flour; cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Whisk in milk and evaporated milk; cook, stirring for about 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from heat; stir in cheddar and parmesan cheeses, salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling water, cook macaroni for 5 minutes or until almost tender. Add broccoli; cook for 1 minute.
- Drain and add to sauce along with ham, if using. Spread into prepared casserole dish.
- To prepare topping, combine butter, bread crumbs and Italian seasoning in a small bowl. Sprinkle over macaroni.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until bubbly and golden.