This curry is a classic Fillipino dish made extra-creamy thanks to the addition of milk.
- 1 lb (500 g) potatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) peanut oil, divided
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt and pepper, divided
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 small red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tsp (20 mL) curry powder
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (500 mL) milk
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 4 tsp (20 mL) fish sauce
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) brown sugar
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) lime juice
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Pat potatoes dry with paper towel. Heat 2 tbsp (30 mL) oil in large saucepan set over medium-high heat; cook potatoes for 5 to 8 minutes or until golden brown all over. Transfer to paper towel–lined plate; set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium. Season chicken with half each of the salt and pepper. Add remaining oil to pan; add chicken once oil is hot. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes or until browned all over. Transfer to separate plate.
- Add carrots, onion, red and green pepper, and garlic to saucepan; cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until onion is softened. Add curry powder and remaining salt and pepper; cook, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes or until fragrant. Add flour; cook, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes or until smooth.
- Whisk in milk, 1 cup (250 mL) water, fish sauce and brown sugar until smooth. Bring to boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low; return chicken and potatoes to saucepan. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and potatoes are tender. Stir in lime juice and cilantro before serving.
Tip: If desired, let curry stand for 10 minutes before serving.