This will be a wonderful addition to your brunch table for any weekend get together. It's also a clever way to use up your leftover ham!
- large ovenproof non-stick skillet
- large bowl
- whisk or fork
- rubber spatula
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter
- 12 oz (375 g) small potatoes (about 4), cut into 1/2 inch (1 cm) pieces
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) 5% light cream
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped baby spinach
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) diced ham
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper, divided
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded hard cheese (like Parmesan or Asiago)
- In a large, ovenproof non-stick skillet, melt butter over medium heat and cook potatoes, onion, garlic, and thyme for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add cream, reduce heat to low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally for about 8 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Uncover and stir in spinach, ham, and a pinch each of the salt and pepper; cook, stirring for 2 minutes or until spinach is wilted.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and remaining salt and pepper, then pour into the skillet. Increase heat to medium and cook, lifting the edge with a rubber spatula to let the runny egg go to the bottom, for about 5 minutes or until bottom is light golden and sides are starting to set.
- Place skillet in 400ºF (200ºC) oven and bake for about 10 minutes or until a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Sprinkle with cheese and broil for about 2 minutes or until golden and bubbly on top.