This is a zesty version of the classic Indian dish that can be satisfying on the summer BBQ or enticing in the oven on a chilly winter day!
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Medium sized bowl
- Mixing spoon
- Shallow baking sheet (if baking)
- BBQ/Grill (if grilling)
- Meat thermometer
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- ¼ tsp (0.5 mL) cayenne pepper
- 1 ½ tsp (7.5 mL) coriander powder
- 2 tsp (10 mL) chili powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) garlic powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dry mustard
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) fresh ginger, grated (or 1 tsp ginger powder)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) turmeric powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) tamarind paste
- 1 ½ (7.5 mL) tsp cumin
- 1 tsp (5 mL) paprika
- ½ cup (125 mL) yogurt
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) vinegar or lime/lemon juice (we used rice vinegar because that's what we had in the pantry)
- 10 chicken thighs, boneless and skinless
- Mix together all ingredients except the chicken in a medium sized bowl.
- Lightly score the chicken pieces with ½ inch thick cuts.
- Turn to coat the chicken evenly with the marinade.
- Cover and refrigerate chicken mixture for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F or turn on the grill to medium-high.
- If baking, place marinated chicken on a shallow baking sheet and cook for approximately 40 minutes or until chicken juices run clear and a meat thermometer reads 165°F.
- If grilling, place directly on the grill, then cover and cook on one side, approximately 5-7 minutes. Using tongs, flip the chicken and continue to cook for another 5-7 minutes. Keep flipping until the chicken is cooked through and a meat thermometer reads 165°F.
Leave a Comment
Comments are moderated and may not appear immediately