In BC, beets are in-season and in full colour in March: Red, Golden, and Candy Cane. Try this light dressing on your beet salad.
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Cutting Board
- Roasting Pan (optional)
- Pot (optional)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) olive oil
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) buttermilk
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) sour cream
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) shallots, minced
- 1-1/2 Tbsp (45 mL) Lemon Juice
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Experiment with these optional spices: cumin, coriander, minced garlic, mustard
We’re celebrating beets and spring time with this light dressing drizzled over a colourful salad. Complete with all four food groups–dairy, vegetables, grains, and meat–you can enjoy for lunch or dinner.
- Put yolk into a bowl and–while whisking–drizzle in oil.
- Stir in buttermilk, sour cream, minced shallots and lemon juice.
- Season dressing with salt and pepper, and any other seasonings of your preference.
- Serve over salad. Refrigerate unused dressing.
Salads are meant to be whimsical and to your personal taste. Not sure what to put in your salad? Here are some suggestions of what to include.
Baby Spring Mix Greens
Beets, roasted, pickled, or both!
Boccocini Cheese, mini
Sweet Red Peppers, sliced
Grilled Chicken or Turkey
Vegetarian alternative – add some roasted nuts in place of meat.
Not sure how to prepare beets?
Roast: Wash and wrap beets in foil. Put into a 400°F oven for 50-70 mins, depending on size, or until tender. Cool and peel skins.
Pickle: Boil peeled and chopped beets in water, on medium, for 40-50 minutes or until tender. Then, in a new pot, dissolve ½ cup sugar in 1 cup water & 1 cup white vinegar until boiled and remove from heat. Drain boiled beets and put in vinegar mixture for 1-2 hours.
Leave a Comment
Comments are moderated and may not appear immediately