Find out how much fun it can be to make bread from scratch!
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Resealable plastic bag
- Twist tie
- Clean cloth (e.g. tea towel)
- Muffin tin
- Oven mitts
- 1 cup (250 mL) all purpose flour
- 1 package (2.25 tsp) rapid rise yeast
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) sugar
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) skim milk powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) warm water
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) whole wheat flour
- about 1 cup (250 mL) additional all purpose flour
1. Wash your hands.
2. Add the first cup of all purpose flour, yeast, sugar, skim milk powder and salt to resealable plastic bag. Seal.
3. Shake and work bag with fingers to blend ingredients.
4. Open bag and add water and vegetable oil. Seal.
5. Mix again by working the bag with your fingers until the ingredients are blended in.
6. Open the bag and add the whole wheat flour and enough all purpose flour to make a stiff dough. You’ll need about a full cup of the all purpose flour. Start with about 3/4 cup.
7. Squeeze out the air from the bag and seal with a twist tie near the top. Work the dough by squeezing it with your fingers. Add a little more flour if needed, and work it in until the dough starts to pull away from the bag.
8. Dust your hands with flour then remove the dough from the bag. Place on a clean work surface that has been dusted with flour.
9. To knead the dough, use your fingers to fold the dough in half. Use the heel of your hand to press and push the dough. Turn the dough and repeat. Do this for at least five minutes until the dough looks smooth and elastic.
10. Grease the muffin tin.
11. Divide the dough into 48 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a ball. Place 4 balls into each cup of the muffin tin.
12. Cover and let rise for 15—20 minutes, about the length of recess. The dough should be double in size.
13. Bake at 400° F (200° C) for 10–15 minutes or until done.